London, 23 June 2017: Dagenham Park Church of England School, Dagenham has taken the English teacher or team of the year award at the prestigious 2017 Tes Schools Awards. The awards, now in their ninth year, recognise outstanding contributions made by education teams and individuals to help students around the country to succeed, both inside and outside the classroom.
Turning a class of reluctant readers into enthusiastic bookworms is challenging for any teacher. But the English team at Dagenham Park Church of England School have encouraged even the most stubborn of students to pick up a book.
Limited resources haven’t stopped this team of dedicated teachers from delivering creative, passionate and engaging lectures, parent classes and additional lessons for pupils. When intertwined with extra-curricular activities such as film clubs, theatre trips, and contact with contemporary poets and authors, the positive approach towards literacy shines throughout the entire curriculum.
And their reach goes beyond school walls. Very few of Dagenham Park’s pupils’ homes had books, but the invention of “book-buzz” has changed that. Every student now has a book at home and the school also hosts frequent book-related competitions.
The teachers’ hard work and pupils’ enthusiasm are reflected in outstanding examination results that have placed the school in the top 1 per cent nationally.
The judges said: “This is a school that has a compassionate professionalism at its heart, and it is clear from the parents and pupils that the teachers’ work is hugely appreciated. In an exceptional shortlist, Dagenham Park C of E School had the wow factor.”
The list of this year’s categories is as follows (full details of the winners can be viewed here):
- Lifetime achievement award
- Bev Evans resource author of the year
- Healthy school of the year
- Headteacher of the year
- English teacher or team of the year
- Maths teacher or team of the year
- Science, technology and engineering teacher or team of the year
- Digital innovation/ed-tech school of the year
- Community impact award
- Collaboration award
- Creative school of the year
- International award
- Early years setting of the year
- Alternative provision school of the year
- Primary school of the year
- Secondary school of the year
- Overall school of the year